Quantcast

Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

horde-17
Hello,

This is my first posting to this list; please feel free to re-direct
if the topic is better handled in one of the other Horde lists.

For quite some time now, I've been trying to get Horde (installed as
"part" of cPanel on my webserver) to talk to Thunderbird/Lightning (on
my computer). I've tried different approaches and read as much as I
could find on the web -- no luck. What apparently should be a simple
thing to set up is just adding to my frustration... :-)

The objective is a simple one: to get the two calendars (Lightning on
my computer and kronolith on the horde side) to talk to each other and
sync both events and tasks (and, if possible, also the address book,
but I could even live without this).

Has anyone out there successfully set this up? If so, could you
provide some pointers?

Many thanks in anticipation for your help.

Best,

Paulo

Re: Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

Carsten Schumann-5
Hi Paolo,

here is my approach which I use with Lightning and my Horde.

To access the Kronolith calenadar with Lightning or Thunderbird, you
have to create a new remote calendar. As URL you choose (as described at
http://wiki.horde.org/KronolithSunbird)
http(s)://yourhost/yourhordepath/rpc.php/kronolith/YOUR-HORDE-USERNAME/YOUR-HORDE-USERNAME.ics
.
When updating the calendar for the first time, Lightning asks for a
username and password which is stored in lightning. After entering the
credentials, you work with the calendar as if it is a local calendar.

BEWARE: If Lightning looses the connection to the remote calendar (i.e.
Internet line down) you need to restart Thunderbird after your internet
connection is reestablished. Otherwise your calendar entries can get
messed up.

Best regards,
Carsten Schumann

Am 08.10.2011 19:42, schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hello,
>
> This is my first posting to this list; please feel free to re-direct
> if the topic is better handled in one of the other Horde lists.
>
> For quite some time now, I've been trying to get Horde (installed as
> "part" of cPanel on my webserver) to talk to Thunderbird/Lightning
> (on
> my computer). I've tried different approaches and read as much as I
> could find on the web -- no luck. What apparently should be a simple
> thing to set up is just adding to my frustration... :-)
>
> The objective is a simple one: to get the two calendars (Lightning on
> my computer and kronolith on the horde side) to talk to each other
> and  sync both events and tasks (and, if possible, also the address
> book,  but I could even live without this).
>
> Has anyone out there successfully set this up? If so, could you
> provide some pointers?
>
> Many thanks in anticipation for your help.
>
> Best,
>
> Paulo

Re: Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

Florian Brandner
Hi!

> here is my approach which I use with Lightning and my Horde.
>
> To access the Kronolith calenadar with Lightning or Thunderbird, you
> have to create a new remote calendar. As URL you choose (as described
> at http://wiki.horde.org/KronolithSunbird)
> http(s)://yourhost/yourhordepath/rpc.php/kronolith/YOUR-HORDE-USERNAME/YOUR-HORDE-USERNAME.ics

I am accessing them in a similar way. But I use the URLs shown in the
properties window in kronolith. Usually it looks like this:
https://<Host>/rpc.php/kronolith/<Username>/<LotsOfLetterAndNumbers>.ics

This also works for the tasks in Nag.

I use a LDAP-Addressbook, this can be used by Horde as well as Thunderbird.

--
Mit freundlichem Gruss,
Florian Brandner

Re: Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

horde-17
Hi Carsten,

Quoting Carsten Schumann <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> here is my approach which I use with Lightning and my Horde.
>
> To access the Kronolith calenadar with Lightning or Thunderbird, you
> have to create a new remote calendar. As URL you choose (as
> described at http://wiki.horde.org/KronolithSunbird)
> http(s)://yourhost/yourhordepath/rpc.php/kronolith/YOUR-HORDE-USERNAME/YOUR-HORDE-USERNAME.ics
> .

This is exactly what I've done... :-)  Before "bothering" people on
this list, I tried to gather as much information as possible and
following all the instructions available. My problem at the moment is
"troubleshooting"... I set up a calendar in Horde/Kronolith and then
created a remote calendar in Thunderbird/Lightning -- but they don't
"talk" to each other. For example, if I set an event in Lightning on
the remote calendar, it simply "disappears": it doesn't get created at
all, either locally (Lightning) or on on Kronolith. Before I used to
get an error but now not even that. During my different attempts, I've
installed and uninstalled different things, including Funambol;
unfortunately (stupidly!), I didn't really keep track of the different
variations tried (I was always hoping that the "next attempt") would
solve the problem...

I'm currently running Thunderbird 6.0.2 (I haven't upgraded to the
latest version yet because of an incompatible plugin) and Lightning
1.0b5 (the latest version, I believe). On the server side, I have --
and cannot change --
Horde 3.3.11 and Kronolith H3 (2.3.5); these are the versions that
come up when I access the Help files on the server.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone on this list could point me in
the right direction towards identifying what the problem might be. My
first question would be "Can Thunderbird/Lightning talk to
Horde/Kronolith 'out of the box' (without additional plugins/addons)
or do I need specific addons (such as Funambol, for example)?"... I
can easily set up test e-mail accounts and calendars, so your help and
guidance would be appreciated.

Best regards and thanks again for the feedback.

Paulo

> When updating the calendar for the first time, Lightning asks for a
> username and password which is stored in lightning. After entering
> the credentials, you work with the calendar as if it is a local
> calendar.
>
> BEWARE: If Lightning looses the connection to the remote calendar
> (i.e. Internet line down) you need to restart Thunderbird after your
> internet connection is reestablished. Otherwise your calendar
> entries can get messed up.
>
> Best regards,
> Carsten Schumann
>

> Am 08.10.2011 19:42, schrieb [hidden email]:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is my first posting to this list; please feel free to re-direct
>> if the topic is better handled in one of the other Horde lists.
>>
>> For quite some time now, I've been trying to get Horde (installed as
>> "part" of cPanel on my webserver) to talk to Thunderbird/Lightning (on
>> my computer). I've tried different approaches and read as much as I
>> could find on the web -- no luck. What apparently should be a simple
>> thing to set up is just adding to my frustration... :-)
>>
>> The objective is a simple one: to get the two calendars (Lightning on
>> my computer and kronolith on the horde side) to talk to each other
>> and  sync both events and tasks (and, if possible, also the address
>> book,  but I could even live without this).
>>
>> Has anyone out there successfully set this up? If so, could you
>> provide some pointers?
>>
>> Many thanks in anticipation for your help.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Paulo

Re: Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

horde-17
Hi Florian,

Thanks for the feedback. In addition to my previous reply to Carsten
(sent to the list, so you should see it too), I'd just like to add
that I use the following URL (as indicated in the Kronolith properties
window):

https://<my-domain-name>:2096/horde/rpc.php/kronolith/<the-exact-email-address-that-owns-the-calendar>/<LotsOfLetterAndNumbers>.ics

> This also works for the tasks in Nag.
What is "Nag"?

> I use a LDAP-Addressbook, this can be used by Horde as well as Thunderbird.
Could you please expand on this?

Many thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,

Paulo

Quoting Florian Brandner <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
>> here is my approach which I use with Lightning and my Horde.
>>
>> To access the Kronolith calenadar with Lightning or Thunderbird, you
>> have to create a new remote calendar. As URL you choose (as described
>> at http://wiki.horde.org/KronolithSunbird)
>> http(s)://yourhost/yourhordepath/rpc.php/kronolith/YOUR-HORDE-USERNAME/YOUR-HORDE-USERNAME.ics
>
> I am accessing them in a similar way. But I use the URLs shown in the
> properties window in kronolith. Usually it looks like this:
> https://<Host>/rpc.php/kronolith/<Username>/<LotsOfLetterAndNumbers>.ics
>
> This also works for the tasks in Nag.
>
> I use a LDAP-Addressbook, this can be used by Horde as well as Thunderbird.
>
> --
> Mit freundlichem Gruss,
> Florian Brandner

Re: Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

Florian Brandner

Re: Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

horde-17
HI Florian,

Quoting Florian Brandner <[hidden email]>:

>> https://<my-domain-name>:2096/horde/rpc.php/kronolith/<the-exact-email-address-that-owns-the-calendar>/<LotsOfLetterAndNumbers>.ics
>
> Hm,
> have you tried to use the username instead of the email address?
> In my case here it is always only the username, which is identical to
> the name-part (the part before the @) of the local address. I think I
> never had to use the full email address.

I believe that is indeed one of the variants that I tried without
success (but I'll try it again, just in case). Perhaps I should add
that my Horde is on a shared web server (it's actually art of a cPanel
account). This means that the same server caters to domain_one,
domain_two, etc; the implication of this is that the there may be a
"username@domain_one" as well as a "username@domain_two" -- thus the
need to include the domain itself, rather than just the username?...

> But I also use a newer version of horde and kronolith. Horde 4.0.9 and
> Kronolith 3.0.10. Both are the most current versions I think.

The versions I have come standard with the current issue of cPanel and
I have no way of changing that, I'm afraid...

>>> This also works for the tasks in Nag.
>> What is "Nag"?
>
> "Nag" is the horde application for tasks. See
> http://www.horde.org/apps/nag for more info.

Sorry for the stupid question... :-) I thought of that only after
posting the previous message. Thanks, anyway.

>>> I use a LDAP-Addressbook, this can be used by Horde as well as
>>> Thunderbird.
>> Could you please expand on this?
>
> Well, I installed a LDAP-Server on my system. How to do this depends
> on your system and it is completely separated from Horde. On this
> Server you can then create addressbooks, which can be used by Horde as
> well as Thunderbird. For details, have a look at the horde wiki:
> http://wiki.horde.org/NewLDAPHowTo
> I used that page to install my system too.

I will certainly look into this. May I ask what sort of system you
installed this on?

Many thanks again for all the feedback.

Paulo

> - --
> Mit freundlichem Gruss,
> Florian Brandner
>
> WWW:    http://www.brandner.net        eMail:  [hidden email]
> Skype:  derbrandy                      Jabber: [hidden email]

Re: Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

Florian Brandner

Hi Paulo

>> Hm, have you tried to use the username instead of the email
>> address? In my case here it is always only the username, which
>> is identical to the name-part (the part before the @) of the
>> local address. I think I never had to use the full email
>> address.
>
> I believe that is indeed one of the variants that I tried without
> success (but I'll try it again, just in case). Perhaps I should
> add that my Horde is on a shared web server (it's actually art of
> a cPanel account). This means that the same server caters to
> domain_one, domain_two, etc; the implication of this is that the
> there may be a "username@domain_one" as well as a
> "username@domain_two" -- thus the need to include the domain
> itself, rather than just the username?...

I am not sure about the inner workings of horde, especially in
combination with your setup. But as far as I remember I never use a
URL with name@domain in it to access my calendars. But I always used
my own server, not any kind of shared system.

If I remember correctly the old kronolith also shows you the required
URL somewhere. I think somewhere in the properties or "share" settings
for your calender.

I always tested the URLs in the Browser. Try to add the URL in the
Browser, after entering your hordes username/password you should get a
download dialog for a ICS file.
Lightning is not loading the remote calendars immediately after adding
them, especially when you added one with an invalid URL it messes up

>> But I also use a newer version of horde and kronolith. Horde
>> 4.0.9 and Kronolith 3.0.10. Both are the most current versions I
>> think.
>
> The versions I have come standard with the current issue of cPanel
> and I have no way of changing that, I'm afraid...

Accessing calendars with Thunderbird/Lightning should also work in
Horde3, at least I have used it with H3 without any problems. For
stuff like syncing with Smartphones you'll need Horde4. And you may
get a better support for the current versions I guess.

> I will certainly look into this. May I ask what sort of system you
>  installed this on?

Nothing fancy, for testing I use a Debian Linux running on a old
Pentium4 System. And another Debian on a rented server.

- --